Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Self Analysis

In looking back to the beginning of this blog and comparing how I felt then to how I feel now I believe I hold the same stance. However, I now I have a substantial reasoning and logic behind my view. At the beginning I felt as though carbon dioxide emissions and global warming were too big of issues to postpone action on. I believed green technology (specifically solar and hydro technology) should be implemented and that there were cost effective ways to do so but I didn’t have any evidence or logic to back this claim up. In hindsight I see that holding a position without any backing is rather unwise. Throughout my posts I have learned more in regards to the positive benefits of green technology but I have also discovered a lot of reasons why people would be opposed to switching over. These discoveries helped to broaden my view and in the end I feel it has strengthened my argument for green technology. By thoroughly examining both sides of the argument I am able to develop my stance more intellectually and I have been able to propose solutions to the problems green technologies have. In the past I may have simply said that there are solutions but now I am able to specifically say what the solutions are. I have not only developed my thinking in regards to green technology but I have also developed my critical thinking capabilities. I am able to look at both sides of an argument and reach an opinion while still respecting the other side of the argument. This is a major step forward in my development as a thinker.

2 comments:

  1. Your links provide concrete evidence that green technology is good; however, did you also provide evidence of why it would not be beneficial to switch over right now?
    Your argument is well focused on the logical side, providing evidence of the problem (global warming and carbon dioxide emission) as environmental issues can become quite emotional. You always want to be unbiased; you might just find that you like the other side of the argument and that changes your position. We look at arguments and positions and judge them based on how we were raised, what values we were taught and currently hold, and what personal opinions we have. At the beginning of your self analysis post you stated that you believed green technology should be implemented right away, but throughout the coarse of your research you discovered many reasons as to why people are opposed to switching over to green technology. Why do you hold the same stance after seeing other people's arguments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not provide evidence of why it would not be beneficial to go green because that is not what I support. Throughout my blog I have acknowledge why others may not want to go green and I have provided evidence against this. However, I do not believe I am biased because I have accepted the reasons people may not want to go green and I have attempted to provide solutions to their arguments. I have come to the opinion I currently hold based on the evidence I have found throughout my research and blog. As a culmination of my research I have decided going green now is possible in an economic manner that will greatly benefit our country.

    ReplyDelete